We are Amy and Gail Shingler, sisters-in-law and friends!

We are passionate about living authentic and intentional lives!

We are enthusiastic about healthy eating!

We created a space to share our favorite recipes & the life philosophies from which they stem!

Our desire is to inspire,

may you be edified by what you read here!

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Buckwheat Crunchies

I would smile at you but I think I might have a buckwheat groat between my teeth.  Why?  you ask.  Because I made THE MOST DIVINE BUCKWHEAT CRUNCHIES EVER!  Then I whipped up a quick batch of homemade awesomeness (yes, its a word, I have a 6 year old), otherwise known as granola goodness.  I think I have downed about a cup of this raw mixture before it was ever put into the oven.  Here is the recipe for the crunchies (one of these days I will share the granola goodness recipe with you, but a lady must keep a few things mysterious...)

Dry ingredients:
1 1/2 cups of raw buckwheat groats
1/4 cup date sugar (or coconut sugar)
1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt (optional)

Wet ingredients:
2 TBSP applesauce
1/4 cup coconut nectar syrup (or brown rice syrup)
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 TBSP Peanut butter (or almond, cashew, etc.)

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
Mix wet ingredients on a large bowl.  Mix wet ingredients in smaller bowl.  Add wet ingredients to the dry ones, combine.  Spread them out on a cookie sheet and bake for 15-18 minutes.  Flip the granola as best as you can (there must be an art to this that I haven't quite figured out).  Bake another 15 minutes.  Make sure not to burn your crunchies, among other things...it is never good to burn.  When you pull them out, place them out to harden up and cool completely.  Then enjoy.  Just make sure you don't have a buckwheat groat between your teeth when you go run your errands.  Smiles!  By the way, I obviously love these to snack on, I top my salads with them and when I do have yogurt these are usually on top.  Also, it will make your house smell all full of baking goodness only without the sugar crashes.



2 comments:

  1. amy these look great
    thanks for posting
    how is everyone doing with their eating ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are all doing fantastic. We are always on the hunt for new recipes and new combinations...if I have the time to try them out. As the school year is coming to a close I find my time gets gobbled up pretty quickly.

    ReplyDelete