No Sugar Coconut Carob Cookies
*The sweetness of these cookies comes via the unsweetened coconut and unsweetened carob chips, and I promise they are sweet enough! But if you really feel the need, you can add 1/4 c. of maple syrup to the dough prior to chilling. I encourage you to try them without first, though!*
- 1 c. unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 c. old fashioned oats (gluten free, if desired)
- 1/4 c. organic butter or vegan margarine (i.e. Earth Balance) softened
- 1 organic egg, beaten, or flax “egg” (1 T. ground flax + 3 T. water, whisked and allowed to thicken) or 1 T. egg replacer, look for it at your local health food/healthy-eating store
- 1 t. vanilla extract
- 1/2 t. baking powder
- 1/4 t. baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 c. unsweetened carob chips or vegan chocolate chips
Combine coconut and oats and toast for several minutes in a dry skillet over low to medium heat or in the preheated oven on a baking sheet, turning frequently until starting to turn golden brown. Set aside or in fridge to cool.
Bake for 10-12 minutes. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for at least 10 minutes before gently transfering to a cooling rack. Store cookies in the refrigerator. They will seem too soft when you take them out of the oven, but let them cool and keep them in the fridge to retain their firmness.