We are Amy and Gail Shingler, sisters-in-law and friends!

We are passionate about living authentic and intentional lives!

We are enthusiastic about healthy eating!

We created a space to share our favorite recipes & the life philosophies from which they stem!

Our desire is to inspire,

may you be edified by what you read here!

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Kale Salad and Hot Yoga...Oh Yeah!

Today was such a blessing to me.  I tried Hot Yoga.  I did a little research to find a place I would be most comfortable in.  As I entered the dim room with quiet music I immediately felt like someone had taken a burden off my shoulders.  I set out my mat and began to relax.  The room was 104 degrees which felt all warm and fuzzy at first.  We began the hour and a half class.  I soon found I was sweating but what was more surprising was how emotional I felt.  My instructor began to say things like you are totally accepted here.  There are no judgements about you.  You are not in control of anything right now (control is a little thing I have a love - hate relationship with).  She encouraged us to be in the moment which is not easy for me to do.  Thank goodness it was dim because the sweat and tears all ran down the cheeks of a woman (me) who found a place to let go.  Sometimes I believe we need someone to instruct us to let go.  Sometimes we can be that voice to someone else.  The movements relaxed my tense muscles and the music calmed my uptight heart.  I loved the experience.  As a Christian I was able to meditate on my relationship with my Creator and I was able to be reminded that He accepts me unconditionally even when I struggle at times to accept myself.  He loves with pure love...something that I want to exude from every fiber of my being!  This is true peace.  His Words began to flood my thoughts and I had a very intimate moment with myself and my God!  Isn't it awesome to have these moments of feeling good in our skin...sweat and tears and all.  It is a place I want to continue to explore!

When I came home I wanted to fill my body with good nutrients!  So here is a Kale Salad that was so good I will make it for my family tonight along with Vegan Cream of Tomato Soup! 


1/2 bunch of Kale
1 apple chopped
sprinkle of sesame seeds
sprinkle of sunflower seeds

Dressing:  (this made enough for 2 salads)
1 cup of cashews
3/4 cup water
1/4 cup lemon juice
3 dates
2 tsp curry
1/2 tsp sea salt

So here is to good food with a side of tranquility!

1 comment:

  1. i have cried through and during many a yoga class---the tears just start to flow when your spirit knows you are in a safe place to allow that---what a blessing of a day---those are the kinds of experiences you just want to keep having---may you find ways to make space in your life for that beauty and healing to occur on a regular basis---thank you so much for sharing that with us!

    ReplyDelete